Something That We Do

Love is something that we do!

9.24.2010

And the answer is.....

As we were driving down our street, what did we see?


Two big, nice pieces of furniture.  Shelves with drawers and cabinets.  And on the front of it?  Paper, that read, "FREE."  Ohmygosh!  Hubby and I were SO excited.  Actually, I think I was more excited than him.

You see, I LOVE furniture.  I love wooden furniture.  Especially with cabinets.  Even more if it has drawers.  And is in good condition.  Or not.  If it's not, I'll refinish it.  I'm working on a few projects now, actually.  I'll get to those later though.  So there are these two huge shelving structures sitting in our neighbor's front yard.  Carl and I parked the car, unloaded the dolly, and rolled across the street to pick up these treasures.  My mind was racing at all of the possible places in our home that these beauties could go!

Truth be told, if I had seen this furniture in a store, it would not be my first pick.  In fact, it's really not my taste at all.  But..... as much as I love furniture, I love practical, organized storage items even more.  And have I mentioned I love furniture???

Carl and I ran up to our neighbors door (the ones giving away the furniture) and knocked.  An older man answered the door and I must've sounded like a child on Christmas!  I don't think I took a breath in between my words as I quickly said, "Hi my name is Lindsey and this is my husband Carl and we just wanted to say thank you for the furniture, we're taking it with us and it will have a good home!"  Noticing we appeared on foot, our confused neighbor asked if we had a truck to help us out.  I didn't realize I forgot to say we are his neighbor and we lived so close we were going to push the furniture home, so hubby explained that part for me.  Sometimes I get so excited that I forget to look at things from another person's perspective.  

So, Carl and I decided that one of these treasures would go in our bedroom and replace our rickety, old bookshelf that is highly likely to come crashing down any day.  The only thing is, this new one is about 3 times its size!  It's going to look a little bulky, but it'll be organized.  The other cabinet will be put in our living room.  I love having an organized, put-together home, so when I had the chance to swap out this DVD shelf:
From Blogger Pictures


I went for it!  Notice how it's all crammed together, and the stuff on top looks cluttery?  It's also next to impossible to dust because everything is balancing itself out and with removal of one item, it could all come crashing down.  I realize this new one looks huge in our living room, but it actually tidies it up A LOT!  You'll have to take my word for this because the picture just doesn't do it justice.
From Blogger Pictures


Inside the bottom three drawers are all of the DVDs and Wii/ Playstation games of our household.  The top shelves are still pretty empty, but give me a few days to print up some pictures, and they will be looking good in no time!  As for the middle section, if you pull on the knob, it folds out to a desk.  We won't be using it as a desk but instead we will use it to store things that belong in the living room that may not look the nicest.  For example, right now we have my snuggie in there (Yes, I'm a snuggie owner.) because that darned thing is next to impossible to neatly fold and hang on a quilt rack.  Also, we have our keyboard that controls our TV (we don't have cable but instead use our television as a giant monitor for a Mac mini that we watch hulu shows on.  Have I mentioned we're a bit thrifty?).  So, everything is neatly tucked away.  What do you think about it?

Have you ever found furniture on the side of the road that has made your day?


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comments