Something That We Do

Love is something that we do!

3.08.2011

I didn't mean to be a creep.

In 2009, right after Carl and I got married, I took a class that I had wanted to take for as long as I could remember.  Sign language.  I had wanted to learn sign language forever, but it was just never in the cards for me to take it.  Year after year in college, I tried and tried to get into a class, but it just never happened.  Classes filled up, schedules were too tight, you name it.  So, in 2009 I was finally able to take this class that I had dreamt of.  And I soaked it in.  Every minute of it.  I adored it.  The language is absolutely beautiful.

Every single following semester, I did my best to be accepted in to ASL level 2.  However, the professor at UF is nationally known (Dr. Sign... I think I've mentioned him here before...) and it was IMPOSSIBLE to get in his class if he didn't know you personally!  I was really bummed out, but I figured I'd just finish my degree and work on sign language after I graduated.

Well, after I graduated, I up and moved across the country.  I've been trying to find signing classes that I could enroll in, but I couldn't find any that weren't on a specific degree tract.  Then, I looked into community ed.  No luck there, either.

Hmm... where could I go to learn sign language??  A deaf person!  But wait, I don't know any deaf people.  Dangit.  Where else could I go?  A sign language group!  I investigated, and once again I hit a dead end.  There were no sign language groups within 200 miles of Turlock (that I could find, at least.)

I had one last option.  Find a church that had a service for deaf individuals to worship, and study with a person there, IF he or she was willing.  After even more googling, I found an entire deaf church in Modesto (the next town over.)  I looked up that church's website and couldn't find it!  Dang it!! Yet another dead end!  I did, however, find a woman's myspace page where she mentioned that she attended that church because she loves sign language even though she was not deaf.  I quickly tried to send her a message on myspace but it required me to log in, and I couldn't figure out my old info.

Overly determined, I looked at her name and I copy and pasted it into the facebook search.  Creepy?  Yes, I know.  I tried not to be.  I even apologize profusely in my message I wound up sending her for appearing creepy.  So, she wrote me back and said she would try to get me some phone numbers.  I am beyond excited!!!!  I might finally be able to learn sign language.  Oh what a joy it would be for me!!!!!  I am just dying to get past level one and be able to really communicate.

I'm so excited.  I really hope this comes through and everything works out.
In my countdown post yesterday, I mentioned being thankful for Melanie not being creeped out.
This was what I meant.

I am beyond excited and I hope and pray this will come through!  Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Hahaha, I love the title of this post! Good for you for having all that determination- even if you did have to seem slightly creepy! ;) lol
 
hahaha thanks! :)
 

Post a Comment

Comments