Something That We Do

Love is something that we do!

1.01.2011

Day 3

We had just pulled out of the gas station in a small town in Texas, when I did something completely out of character.  I'm extremely careful and intent when I do things.  Not this time, of course.  


You ready for this?


I threw my phone out the window.  


Now, let me explain.  We were, as I mentioned, at a gas station.  While sitting in the truck, I cracked open the window.  It was the kind that you unlock and push open, like in an older van.  It opened just about 2 inches, but it was enough for Belle to stick her nose out and get some fresh air.  We had already walked, and I was just talking to my dad on the phone, so we sat there enjoying the slight breeze coming through the window.  As Carl climbed back into the truck, I said bye to my dad and prepared myself for the trip again.


I situated Belle's pillow so she's comfortable, then I buckled up.  As I leaned back in the seat, we were going about 40 miles per hour, and I set my phone on the same familiar ledge that I had been using for the past two days.  Except, this time, the ledge opened up to the pavement.  I watched my phone fly out of the window, and I shouted, "My phone flew out the window!"  It was a set of words I never thought I'd hear myself say.  I even laughed, as I said them.  Carl pulled the truck over, and since U-turns are no fun when hauling so much, I offered to hike down the road to where my phone flew out the window.


As I walked down the hill, with Belle in my arms, I just couldn't help but laugh.  I threw my phone out the window.  Seriously?  This trip was becoming humorous.  I kept hiking down the hill, noticing all sorts of plastic that had been run over by cars.  I kept questioning, "Is this my phone?"  And I stopped to carefully analyze a couple of run over electronics.  I kept going, and found my phone further down the road than expected.  


Truck drivers were honking and waving at me, and I just laughed.  Here I am in a nice sweater and suede jacket, carrying a white fluffy dog, examining trash on the side of the road.  


I found my phone, and although the screen was shattered and the battery door was missing, it still rang.  My husband was calling to help me find it.  I managed to answer it, and we talked briefly.  He was watching me from the top of the hill.  Back up the hill I began.  


On the side of the road, I found a deer skull.  I thought it was really interesting so I actually picked it up. I've been fascinated by bones since my last semester in college (woot woot) when I took a forensics course.  I was studying the skull while still carrying Belle, hiking up the hill.  Then I pictured what I must look like.


Now I was not only nicely dressed, walking on the side of the road carrying a white fluffy dog, but a dead animal's skull as well.  I threw it down and laughed at myself and how silly I must've looked.  Once I reached the top of the hill, I climbed back in the truck and washed my hands in the closest rest stop.  


On through Texas, we must go.  Wait till you see what Day 4 has in store.

3 comments:

Great story, Lindsey! You're moving to California? Nice Blog! Love to Carl & Austin & Belle. Hugs, Aunt Lucy
 
Thanks Aunt Lucy! Yep, we're moving to California! I will send everyone your love. Love you too!
 
Oh man, a deer skull sounds really awesome. And so cool that you picked it up. I would have kept it. What would Carl have said?
 

Post a Comment

Comments