Something That We Do

Love is something that we do!

8.23.2010

Sunday Showers

Yesterday was a wonderful day, in my book. We went to church in the morning, and then went out to lunch with some good friends. After lunch, us girls headed back up to the church to throw a baby shower for our dear friend, Lily! Lily and her husband Scott are expecting their baby boy, Jack, to arrive in just a couple of weeks. Scott is a firefighter, and Lily is a nurse...little Jack's room is decorated in fireman decor! It's absolutely adorable. Her shower was a lot of fun, yesterday, too!


When we all got home, it rained. I love Sunday afternoon rains. I just love them. I love the sound of the rain hitting the roof, I love the haze of white we see when we look out the window, I love watching the water droplets hit our screen and then our pool, I love how the house cools down and everything just seems to move slower at a more relaxed pace. And I love going and changing into sweat clothes once it starts raining. Aaah, nothing like a Sunday shower.

While it rained, the three of us did a bible study together. We've been doing weekly bible studies on the book of Acts. After our bible study, Carl started cooking dinner for the three of us, and I helped Austin gather all his things for school the next day. I also ironed his polos, filled his backpack with folders and paper, pens and pencils, and laid out his clothes for the next day. That's when I realized his brand new jeans don't fit him. Oh, snap. He was able to wear a pair of kahki shorts today, so he was still within the "uniform" parameters. But, it looks like either tonight or tomorrow I'll be hitting up the store for some new clothes and even more school supplies, once we get the lists that Austin will be sent home with today.

Today is his first day in MIDDLE SCHOOL! Carl and I reminisced on our big first days... he says he can't remember if he was nervous about middle school or high school, but he does recall accidentally washing his hair with facial soap. (Oops!) And for me, I vividly remember my first day of middle school and being terrified for no reason whatsoever. My dad even worked at the school, but it was still the scariest place on earth, as far as I was concerned. I remember clinging to him and my friends coaxing me away from him. Eventually I went with them, and it wasn't so bad after all. Don't know why I was so scared!

So, today is Austin's big first day. Carl and I have talked privately and we must admit, we're BOTH nervous for him. Austin didn't seem too nervous but I imagine he had at least a few butterflies. Today will be his first time walking through a school all by himself, with no teacher to guide him. It's also his first day in which he's responsible for getting him self to class on time (We make sure he gets out the door in the morning on time, but he has to walk to all his classes on his own). I can't believe he's in 6th grade. That's just crazy. We'll see how his first day went! Here are some pictures that Carl took of him while he was waiting on his very first bus! (I had class at UF at 7:25, and since Austin's bus came at 8:40, I didn't even get to see him this morning. That's how it will be every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. On Tuesdays and Thursdays, I'll be the one to walk him to the bus stop.)
Waiting on the bus.
From Something That We Do
Getting on the bus! "Dad, stop taking my picture...you're embarrassing me!"
From Something That We Do

Let's hope he had a good day!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comments