Something That We Do

Love is something that we do!

2.04.2011

Friends

"Do you have friends where you're going?"
-"No," but I will.


That was a line from Eat Pray Love, an inspiring, really good, down to earth book.  When I read it, I couldn't help but reread that one line, and then read it once more.  When we were packing up to move to California, so many people asked me, "Do you know anyone out there?"  My answer was always the same.  "No."  In the back of my mind though, I just knew I'd have friends, and even a complete family once I got out here.  A church family, that is.


I expected to be as involved with our new church as I was with our old one.  Unfortunately, due to unforseen circumstances in the past two weeks (I was sick once and Belle was sick the next week..I was up all night making sure she could make it to the bathroom outside...), we haven't been to our new church yet.  However, I've started hanging out, on a regular basis, at the dog park.  It sounds silly but it's a good time to be had...if you're a dog person.  


I get my animal loving side from my dad, otherwise known as Dr. Doolittle.  You'd be surprised how often animals approach him and seem to communicate with him.  He's like Ceasar Millan's European cousin.... or something.  Which is why I can't wait till my dad comes to visit and I can bring him to the park with me.  We can sit on the hill with everyone and watch the dogs all have a good time.  We'll have a stash of treats in my bag, a blanket to lounge on, and some club soda while we sit in the sunshine watching the pups play and communicate with one another.


And the dogs aren't the only ones that get to socialize.  (Heck, sometimes Belle prefers to just sit in my lap and not socialize at all.  And that's okay.)  Their humans do, too.  Being without knowing many people in the town, going to the dog park has become almost a form of therapy for me.  I sit on the hill in the sunshine with a great group of people and we all chit-chat.  About life, about home, about our dogs.  It's like we have an automatic bond.  I've met some really great people at the park.  I was introduced to an exercise program through a park goer, invited to church by a park goer, invited to a youth fellowship held every Sunday for Austin, found a dog-sitter, a groomer, and even a babysitter.


As convenient as the networking is, I'm not there for that.  I'm there just for the friendships, and because it's so relaxing!  I get to watch my best friend frolic and play with the other pups while I visit with them, and as the afternoon creeps in, we watch the fog roll into the valley.  Time quickly slips through my fingers.  Four hours have gone by and I jump up and scramble to get home to get that roast in the oven.  Where on earth has the time gone??  Ah, time flies when you're having fun.  It's such a natural, easy going type of fun.  Some people like to go dancing and clubbing... me?  I like the dog park.

2 comments:

That is one thing I noticed over there. The culture is very community-oriented and friendly. I remember walking through Golden Gate Park almost feeling like I knew everyone already. You'll make plenty of friends over there!
 
Yeah, I really enjoy that aspect of Turlock. Everyone's ready to be your friend and welcome you.
 

Post a Comment

Comments