Something That We Do

Love is something that we do!

10.01.2010

Childhood World

So, this experience with Buddy has made me reflect back on when I was a child, and my plans for my life.  (This will all make sense in a few minutes, I promise.)  

You see, I had it all planned out.  In my mind, at least.  Didn't know what I'd do for a living, where I'd live, or anything practical really.  But... here's what I did know.

I just knew I'd have a house at the end of an extremely long (at least a 2 minute drive) driveway that had Japanese Cherry Blossom trees lining it.  The Japanese Cherry Blossom trees, in this fantasy world of mine, were always blooming.  Always.  

And I had a huge yard (that never needed to be mowed).  I had rolling hills in my backyard, and a swimming pool.  The yard was always green, and it was fenced in.  Why did I dream of a big, green, fenced in yard?  Keep reading.

We had dogs.  Lots of dogs.  Don't want your dog?  Drop him or her off here.  We'll take 'em all.  Oddly enough, no cats were around.  Have I mentioned they are a bit too finicky for me?  But, while we were a catless home, we did have chickens.  And goats.  Perhaps that's why the yard never needed to be mowed.   

This was only a little part of my childhood fantasy but what made me realize all of these things was this. Buddy is still at the vet's office.  He's still just hanging out in the back, waiting for someone to call and say they've been desperately looking for him.  But, it hasn't happened yet.  I've been checking Craigslist and newspapers every day, and while there are a lot of female dogs missing, I don't see any male dogs meeting Buddy's description.  While trying to figure out what to do with Buddy since I only have a week to find him a home or he becomes my responsibility, I thought, "If only I lived in my future house already, he could roam around out there all day."  I stopped in my tracks realizing that I was still holding on to this fantasy home of mine.  And, it revolved around dogs.  I guess that just shows how much of an animal lover I've always been.  

And then, I stumbled across this video and I decided I'd look into owning a porcupine.  Then, I said it aloud and thought WHAT THE HECK AM I THINKING?!! A PORCUPINE??  Really.  It was also then that I realized I don't live in that dream world and owning a porcupine would make absolutely no sense whatsover.  But, humor me.  Watch this video and tell me you don't want one too.

What really catches me off guard here is how I never doubted I'd live in a home like this, and I always thought of it as a place I'd live as an adult.  And now, here I am.  I'm an adult.  And apparently my subconscious has been planning to live in this beautiful place still.  Who knows, maybe one day it'll happen.

So, there you have it folks.  My childhood dream world, out on paper.  

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comments