Something That We Do

Love is something that we do!

1.24.2013

7.5 Weeks

At 7 and a half weeks, Carl and I went in for our first ultrasound.  This made things so much more real!  We have a gummy bear baby growing in my tummy!  The doctor said everything looked great… and seeing baby's heartbeat was AMAZING.  I laid on the table holding Carl's hand and all I could do was cry from the happiness.  We created a baby!  The doctor told us that we were 7.5 weeks along, and informed us of our date of conception.  He looked at Carl, "You were in town right?"  Hahaha!  He then told us that the measurement of the baby told him the baby's exact age, and the due date is set in stone.  Around July 13th of 2013, we could expect a new little Horton in our arms!

The coming weeks brought on unbearable nausea.  The doctors kept assuring me that the progesterone was making me so sick, but progesterone was good for the pregnancy.  I began repeating the mantra, "Sick momma, healthy baby" to get me through my days.  I was loosing weight steadily, unable to keep any food or liquids in my belly.  At 9 weeks and 3 days, I felt for sure my stomach would throw itself up at any moment.  

Here's a shot of me with my faithful friend Belle.  She's giving me comfort kisses, but right after I took this shot I had to put her on the floor and, er, take care of business.  And yes, that is our porcelain bowl that I am sitting in front of.

photo 5
With no strength whatsoever, at 9 weeks and 5 days, I had to take another trip to the doctor.  I was feeling awful yet again.  Carl came home from work to take me to the doctor and as I laid on the couch throwing up, Austin looked very concerned.  Carl told him "We know what is causing this, and Lindsey isn't dying.  We just want you to know that."  Austin asked what was causing it but Carl told him we couldn't tell him quite yet, but he assured him that I will be okay.  The doctor confirmed what I had suspected, my "morning sickness" is actually hyperemesis gravidarum.  You may have heard this in the news lately because the Duchess Kate is suffering from the same diagnosis.  Basically, where most women get some morning sickness (whether it's only in the morning or all day), a few women get hyperemesis gravidarum which is uncontrollable nausea and vomiting that results in dehydration and other complications.  It is very difficult to manage, but it is doable.  You just have to stay on top of the treatment and be very proactive, not letting yourself slip into not eating because it's easier than forcing something down.  Here's an article on the subject that I found very helpful: http://www.helpher.org/hyperemesis-gravidarum/ 

While being laid up in bed for hours on end, my faithful friend stayed right by my side.  Or should I say right on top of me.  "Why don't you feel better momma?"
photo 4

The doctor tested my urine for ketones and send me straight to the ER for fluids when the test came back.  We went to the ER at our local hospital, and we were seen rather quickly (you know, for an emergency room).  They drew my blood, collected my urine (again) and hooked me up to many monitors (IV, heart monitor, and blood pressure cuff).  I had IV fluids in my veins, along with Phenergan.  Within a few minutes, I felt like I had been hit by a truck and was falling asleep.  Everything in my body got really heavy, and I kept trying to talk to Carl (who stayed by my side for these several hours, thank you honey!)  I felt like I was talking clearly but Carl said he couldn't understand me.  I remember fighting to keep my eyes open and even attempting to just peek out of one eye, but it wasn't happening.  I fell asleep for about an hour (I think).  When I woke up, I told the doctor and the nurse that I was nauseous, but they insisted the phenergan was working and to give it time.  I threw it up.  About an hour later, the doctor said he wanted to double my dose of phenergan because it should work with a doubled dose.  I told him I didn't think it would work and I'd like to try another medicine but he insisted.  Figuring that doctors must know better, I let him try again.  Within that hour, I threw up again.  I don't want to get too graphic, but please understand throwing up medicine burns your esophagus horribly.  I learned that should I need to go back to the ER again, I will insist that phenergan does not work for me and I will need something else.  Finally, a shot of zofran calmed my stomach.  By this time, it was around midnight and the doctors said if my nausea was easing up, and I could walk, they would discharge me since I had enough fluids in me.  This whole time, it was so hard not talking my parents about what was going on.  Carl kept reminding me that he was there and he would take care of me, but you know there's nothing like having your momma care for you.  I just couldn't tell them about this because they didn't know about our pregnancy at this point.  I wanted very very badly to surprise them with our news when we went home for Christmas.  This meant hiding the pregnancy for about 4 weeks….talk about the longest 4 weeks ever.   Carl and I even talked about telling them on the phone, but I just couldn't do it.  It had to be in person. 

1 comments:

It is interesting that dogs can sense how we feel and when we get sad or upset and they try to make us feel better and loved. Sasha is pretty good with that too. I'm sorry that you have had to go through all of this. Have you been feeling better at all lately? Do you have a baby bump yet? I look forward to seeing those pictures.
 

Post a Comment

Comments