Something That We Do

Love is something that we do!

3.01.2012

Dunes in Death Valley

Thanks for continuing on through our trip!  Let's see... where were we... Oh yes.  We were stretching our legs in the desert.  

So we made our way to the sand dunes where our legs got much more than a stretch.  We got a good workout in the dunes!  Man were they gorgeous....
IMG_1559
Unfortunately, these were all taken with an iPhone4S.
Carl and I are wondering if we should invest in a good camera.
What say you? (Suggestions on models, perhaps?)

IMG_0101
14 Square Miles of dunes.
IMG_0100
Amazing how you can scream as loud as you can and it doesn't reach very far.  The air just takes it away and perhaps the sand even drinks it in.
IMG_0099
How did we learn about the our screaming not reaching very far?
IMG_0096
Well, let me tell you a little story.
IMG_0094

You see, it all started with this guy.
IMG_0078
RUNNING.
IMG_0092
And running.

IMG_0091
He's in this picture, too.  Can you find him?

IMG_0088
With the zoom on.
IMG_0077
Carl and I started chasing after him, but...well, let's just say he was the Energizer bunny.
He kept going, and going, and going.
IMG_0075
And going.
IMG_0072
Once I reached the top of one of the dunes, I told Carl to (say this in a really dramatic voice) "Go on without me."  Then I pulled out my camera and snapped this picture of him.

IMG_1530
He got a little farther (further?)  and got this one of me.  And this is with his little camera (iPhone) zooming in with all its might.
IMG_0102
He got pretty far away from me before finally getting Austin's attention.  This was me, with the zoom on Carl's camera.

After finally catching Austin's attention, he was able to direct him to return to the car via hand waving and other exaggerated gestures.  Some foot stomping might've been involved.
{Eh hem.}

*We explained once again that when we are in wilderness, you cannot simply run without abandon.
I don't think 12 year old boys quite grasp the fact that mountain lions, coyotes and rattle snakes are deadly.*

And there are signs posted warning you of such things.
We even saw some animal tracks.  PROOF that the signs weren't telling us a tall tale!

IMG_1564
Want to know what these were tracks of?
{Yeah, me too.  Heh, heh}
IMG_1563
Again, no idea what little creature made this.
IMG_1529
BUT THIS ONE, I CAN IDENTIFY!

IMG_1555
By the time we got back to the car, our skin was a little more pink, and the sun was a little lower.

IMG_1554
So we rushed on to our next destination in Death Valley...
Stay tuned!

1 comments:

Breathless with anticipation. I am reading this on while on a bus heading to steamboat springs. It's like 2 vacations at once :)

Tom Horton
 

Post a Comment

Comments