Something That We Do

Love is something that we do!

4.11.2012

Leave it on the field.

What does the saying, "Leave it on the field." mean to you?

[Let me start out by saying that this post is not about anyone in particular.  Unless your name is mentioned, don't assume it's about you!]

To me, "Leave it on the field" means leave your issue where it belongs...in God's hands. I'm not saying you shouldn't talk to your trusted friend or family member about your issue (they can pray for and with you, and how valuable are prayers!), but don't bring the issue where it won't do any good. If it's not productive to talk about it, just leave it.  Unfortunately, that's easier said than done.

I do think that for females, it's harder to hand over your burden to God.  I think we are wired differently than males, and will want to hold on to our issue so that we can fix it ourselves.  But we can't.  Justin, a friend of ours back in Florida, once gave the illustration how he thinks women treat their problems like a fluffy bunny in a basket.  They show off their bunny (problem) to their friends and family, and their husband.  They want their loved ones to see their bunny and pet it.  Then when someone comes up with a solution to their problem, they take their bunny and hover over it, protecting it as if to say, "No, it's mine... you can't fix it.  I want to keep it!"  How right is he?!  Us women tend to want to talk about a problem until we are blue in the face and get utterly sick of it.  We hold on to our issues.  What an unhealthy habit! 

Now, I admit, for the longest time, I didn't understand why people would say to give God your burdens. I would think, "But I love and respect my God, why would I want to give him anything bad?? I don't want Him to have to carry my burden! He has enough to worry about!"  A few years ago, I finally understood what it meant.  Nothing is too big for God. Recently, I read an analogy to this very situation. I think it really helps bring the issue home.

 *I am so sorry, I can't remember where I read this analogy... I know it was on another blog, so if you happen to see it, please let me know so I can credit the source. This analogy is not my own.*
A father and a little girl are talking about an issue that she is struggling with. He can't give her all of her answers simply because of her age and lack of knowledge and understanding. She just isn't ready to hear, even though she desperately wants to understand. She even thinks that she is ready, but the father knows that she is not.

For him, the answers are clear and logical. As clear and logical as the answers may be, He still knows that his little girl can't possibly understand the answers at her age and in her position.

So, he compares the issue to a heavy suitcase. First, he asks her to pick it up. She manages to hoist it off the ground, but just barely. The father knows that his little girl can't lift this suitcase, but with his strong arms, he can lift it with gentle ease. "It's too heavy, daddy." she says. Her dad says, "That's right. It's too heavy for you to carry right now. Let me carry it for you. I hate to see you struggling to carry something that is simply too heavy; please, allow me." Matthew 11:28-30 tells us, "Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."
I think we, as humans, often struggle just handing an issue over to God. It's hard to do! We want to make the issue better ourselves; we want the answers right now; we want to see how everything turns out.  But when I look at Matthew 6:25-27, I see that God didn't forget to feed the birds. He didn't forget to put seeds and worms out for them, why would he forget about me and my issue?

So. What should we do? I say- follow the instructions given to us in Philippians 4:6-7. "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

And that, my friends, is one of the hardest things to do.

1 comments:

Gasp~ I totally have the Philippians 4:6 saved on my desktop! It is hard to follow though. I think a lot "oh, God is busy" or "I don't need to bother Him about this". It seems selfish asking Him to take care of every situation for us. I am a planner. It's hard for me to just "go with the flow", although I find that to be a very attractive quality in others and think to myself "I should be more relaxed and be able to adapt more willingly to situations". However, there was a point where I made a conscious effort to go with the flow and plan less- since when my plans don't go the way I want, I get cranky. But it's not my plan to be making anyway, its God's plan. That is something that I still need to remember. Also, my big "bunny" is more that I complain sooo much. And like you said, whats the point of continuing to talk about it, if it doesn't do any good?
 

Post a Comment

Comments