Something That We Do

Love is something that we do!

9.13.2013

Luke's First Month!

I have fallen behind on blogging, so I'm trying really hard to catch up.  I'd like to at LEAST do a monthly post.  What better place to start, than Luke's first month of life?!

If you're the type of who doesn't like photos of a cute baby (what, I'm a little biased, okay?) then skip ahead!
And so, the story begins.
Luke birth to one month old
As you know, my mom was here when Luke was born. 
Luke birth to one month old
Luke birth to one month old
Here's Luke (the day we brought him home) wrapped in a blanket my mom made for him.
Luke birth to one month old
She came to stay with us in June, awaiting Luke's arrival. My dad came out here shortly after Luke was born. He was able to stay for a couple of weeks. I absolutely loved having him and my mom out here with us. Here are some photos of my dad meeting Luke for the very first time.
Luke birth to one month old
Luke birth to one month old
Luke birth to one month old
Luke birth to one month old
Luke birth to one month old
Luke birth to one month old
Mom was the one to trek to Sacramento and bring my dad back to our home.  Here are the proud grandparents with the newest addition!
Luke birth to one month old
Mom said four hours was too long to be away from baby...
Luke birth to one month old
Before my dad came, my mom and I slept on the couches downstairs. Luke slept in a bassinet between the couches. I slept downstairs because I was unable to go upstairs while healing from Luke's birth. Mom slept downstairs because she couldn't get enough of her grandbaby, even at 3am. Those first several days, someone had eyes or ears on Luke 24/7. We wanted to make sure we would catch him if he stopped breathing again. Each night, when Luke would wake up to eat, I would get up and nurse him. Then I passed him to my mom. She burped him and changed him, then laid him back down. This helped greatly- I was able to get a little more sleep than if I did it all myself. Carl took weekend shifts, so he was able to stay rested and continue to work during the day. When my dad arrived, he relieved mom's night shift.

Little sleep in our house meant many naps would be taken!

These are the best kind of naps to take with a newborn..
Luke birth to one month old

Luke birth to one month old
Luke birth to one month old
Luke birth to one month old
Luke birth to one month old


My dad jumped right into the swing of things, changing diapers and all! When I watched him interact with Luke, I felt like I was watching my old baby videos in real life. Luke's Poppa completely doted on him. I think it is safe to say that Luke has him wrapped around his little finger.
Luke birth to one month old
And, most of you know my dad...quite the funny guy!
Well.....let's just say....
Poppa had a lot of fun with Lukey...
Luke birth to one month old

Luke birth to one month old 
(He made sure Luke's eyes were staying shut for the few seconds the glasses were on!)
The lovin' never stopped.
Luke birth to one month old

Luke birth to one month old

Both of my parents cooked us dinner every night, and helped do anything and everything we needed with Luke. They stayed up nights with me, changed Luke during the night so that I could get a little more rest, ran errands, repaired household things, helped me prepare the nursery, and helped in about a thousand other ways. I am so thankful for their help and the time they were here with us!
Here is Luke having a conversation with his Momau!
Luke birth to one month old
 Luke hanging out with his Poppa (and Belle)!
Luke birth to one month old
 

Luke LOVES going outside!
Luke birth to one month old
Luke birth to one month old  Luke birth to one month old
One very early morning, Carl put Luke in my arms.  I looked down and he had the biggest grin on his face... that's when I KNEW that he knew who I was.  I quickly pulled out my phone and snapped this shot!
Luke birth to one month old

Here's a shot of Luke with Daddy and Austin when Austin returned from Florida!
Luke birth to one month old

Luke and his Momma!
Luke birth to one month old

Luke birth to one month old
Luke birth to one month old
Luke birth to one month old
Luke birth to one month old
Luke birth to one month old

Luke birth to one month old
Luke birth to one month old
Luke birth to one month old
Luke birth to one month old

Luke birth to one month old 
Luke birth to one month old
Luke birth to one month old

Luke's first sponge bath! (Had to wait for the umbilical cord to fall off for a real bath!)
Luke birth to one month old
Luke birth to one month old
Luke birth to one month old

Here's Luke with a quilt his Great Aunt Cathy made him out his my grandmother's pajamas! 
Luke birth to one month 
old


Again, on a quilt made by Luke's Great Aunt Cathy out of my grandmother's pajamas!
Luke birth to one month old
Luke and Daddy!
Luke birth to one month old

Daddy and Mommy with Luke!
Luke birth to one month old

Mommy and Luke!
Luke birth to one month old

Luke sleeping on Momma!
Luke birth to one month old
Luke birth to one month old

My cousin Gillian made Luke this little giraffe with a bib that has Luke's name cross-stitched on it.  Isn't it adorable?  Our cousin's daughter (Georgia) has a giraffe that she loves named "G" so we are calling this miniature one "Baby G" after Georgia's giraffe, and after cousin Gillian who made it!
Luke birth to one month old
(Side note- I'm having way too much fun naming Luke's stuffed animals...)

My mom laid Luke on my chest one afternoon and he scooted in as close to my face as his little body could manage.  Melt. My. Heart.
Luke birth to one month old

One of Luke's first smiles captured on camera!  He's wearing an outfit from his Aunt Mia!
Luke birth to one month old
Luke birth to one month old

Here is Luke with a book that our dear friend Laurel made for us.  It's a very heart warming, touching book of Luke's first days.
IMG_4752
Luke and Daddy
Luke birth to one month old

Below, you'll see Luke sleeping on my mom with "Poppa Bear."  My dad wanted Luke to have a stuffed animal that plays a heartbeat sound to help him sleep, so he got him this bear.  That's why the bear was named after him...Poppa.  :)
Luke birth to one month old
Here are a couple of comparison photos of Luke now and when he was 28 weeks gestational age.
Luke birth to one month old
Luke birth to one month old

I LOVE it when he sucks his thumb- I think it's the sweetest thing ever! (And it's the un-drop-able pacifier, too!)

Luke birth to one month old

Here is Luke laying on a blanket his Great Aunt Donna made for him!
Luke birth to one month old

Here's Luke in his bouncy seat from his Great Aunt Cindy and Great Uncle Brian!
Luke birth to one month old

Luke's first real bath! (He LOVED it!)
Luke birth to one month old
Luke talking with Daddy!
Luke birth to one month old

Luke hanging out with Daddy!
Luke birth to one month old
Luke hanging out with Momau!
Luke birth to one month old
Luke hanging out with his Poppa (and Sugar)! 
Luke birth to one month old
 Belle cuddling up to Luke! 
 Luke birth to one month old

Luke birth to one month old

Mom and Dad, thank you oh so much for coming and helping. We love you and can't wait to see you again!

1 comments:

I think a monthly post sounds great. Why would anyone NOT want to see cute baby pictures? I look at strangers' babies on other public blogs (that sounds creepy when I type it out), so of course I want to see YOUR baby! =) I'm so glad your parents could spend a good amount of time with you when Luke was born. Another reason I'm so happy we are moving back East- in just 36 days! And I'll see you about a month after that. But what was it like transitioning into "real life" after they flew home again? The picture of Luke sleeping on your chest during the nap is super precious. And the comment about "watching old baby videos in real life" was cool- sounds like something I would say. I really like the pajama quilt too.
 

Post a Comment

Comments