Something That We Do

Love is something that we do!

6.06.2013

Graduation and Birthday Celebrations

Last Friday, Austin graduated from the 8th grade!  He is officially moving up to high school, and the "poor guy" has ten whole weeks off of school now.  What on earth is a kid to do?  ;)

Austin actually has a pretty busy summer planned, but until those plans get kicked off, the days will most likely drag on for him.  But if you ask him, I'm sure he'd rather that over going to school anyway!  Oh to be a kid again!

Friday afternoon, we went to Austin's graduation ceremony that was short and sweet... only 30 minutes- whoa!  Here's a picture of a quarter of his graduating class.  (The graduation was split up over two days, two sessions per day, so four sessions total.  That's why this is only a quarter of his class.)

IMG_0475

Here is Austin, waiting in line to receive his diploma. (He's in the white shirt, in the far right.)
IMG_0477

After junior high, the kids are split up between two high schools.  While a good amount of Austin's friends are going to go to his high school, his best friend and several others will be going to the other high school in town.  So he's a little sad about not seeing them next year.  However, I don't think he knows how high-schoolers go to each others football games and events, and still see each other regularly... this isn't goodbye, it's just a see-you-later!  :)
IMG_0478
Here is ghost Austin receiving his diploma.  My camera is not the best.
IMG_0479

Afterwards, we got a few family shots to remember this special day.  Look how tall Austin is next to Carl!  STOP GROWING, KID!  FOR REAL! 

IMG_0482

He's passed me up in height (of course)... and this isn't even him standing straight up!  He was leaning in for the picture!  Tall 8th grader, I tell ya.  I mean... 9th grader.
IMG_0483

And hey, future Luke, if you are reading this, look!  You were at your brother's graduation!
IMG_0484
IMG_0485

As the kids walked out of the building, they didn't play traditional graduation music.  They played "What a Wonderful World".....and I lost it.  Full on boo-hoo, tears running down my face...I almost got in the line with the kids (I kid) as they walked by just so I could get away from the music.  That song is very special to me and other members of our family.... and it normally chokes me up a little bit, but not that bad.  These pregnancy hormones are quite insane.

Later that evening, we went to Boomers to celebrate Austin's birthday.  I think I mentioned this in a previous blog post, but just in case I did not, we celebrated Austin's birthday a week early because of so many things going on on his actual birthday.  For one, there's a graduation party for one of his friends.  Two, it's the day my mom arrives in Turlock.  And three, my baby shower is that day.  We tried to plan around Austin's birthday (so the shower didn't fall on his birthday) but it was impossible.  June is such a busy month for everyone out here, the 8th was the only day that could possibly work.  I explained the situation to Austin and asked if he minded, and he said he completely understood.  He's such a trooper.  I assure you though, he won't be forgotten on his actual day.  Carl and him will be hanging out for part of the day, he'll be going to friends' during other parts of the day, and he's getting some pretty cool gifts this year.  I can't wait to see him open them!  At the end of the day, we will be taking him out to eat at the restaurant of his choice, and doing a family birthday celebration at the restaurant.  I'll make sure to post photos and videos to share!

So anyway, we went to Boomers, like I said.  Four kids showed up to the party, and they were all great kids.  It was nice spending time with Austin's friends and getting to know them a little better.  There was only one girl there, but she hung out with the boys like a real trooper.  When Austin introduced her to us, I thought he said "This is Candice" so the entire night, when I would talk to her, I called her by name.  The next morning, I was looking through my phone and saw that I had a text from Cami, when she RSVP'd for Austin's party.  So, I asked Austin about Candice going by Cami and you know what he replied? "Candice?  No her name is Cami."

"But is her real name Candice?"
"No."
"But you call her Candice?"
"No....."
"Well you introduced her as Candice...."
"No I didn't...."  At that point, him and his friend who stayed over bursted out laughing.  I had called this girl by the wrong name the entire night, apparently.

Oy.

Here's Austin on the racetrack. 
IMG_0491

And here's Austin with his birthday crew, racing!
IMG_0487

Here's the crew when we celebrated with a yummy ice cream cake!
IMG_0516

Austin brought a friend home that night to spend the night, and they played video games till they couldn't hold their eyes open any more.  Actually... I'm not sure their eyes ever did close that night because Austin was a zombie the next day.  He slept all day long!

Yawn!  I get tired just thinking about it.

Next week, Austin will be going to Yosemite Bible Camp.  He's really looking forward to going this year- it's his first time since we've lived here! 
Then, in a couple of weeks, Austin will be going to Florida for three weeks.  He's going to be going to his usual Florida Bible Camp while there (he always has a blast) and spending lots of time with family.  He'll fly back out here with my dad, very close to Luke's due date, and then he will have a baby brother around the house.  Lots of changes coming up!

There are also some soccer and tennis camps Austin is interested in... but we haven't figured out the specifics yet.  There's only so much time in the day, ya know?


On Sunday night at church, we celebrated the graduates (middle school, high school, and college age).  Each graduate's pictures were submitted for a slideshow... and now's the time where Austin is going to say I am embarrassing him, but I just HAVE to share the photos that we selected.  Screen Shot 2013-06-04 at 10.14.56 AM
P8150009
HPIM0028
IMG_0088
Screen Shot 2013-05-13 at 12.23.21 PM
HiRes_5703433500166D
Screen Shot 2013-05-13 at 12.15.18 PM

Austin, if you are reading this, I hope you had a great birthday celebration so far (we will continue the par-tay on Saturday!) and please know that your dad and I are very proud of you for your accomplishments this year, and moving up to high school next year.  It's hard to believe how fast time has flown by.  We love you!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comments