Something That We Do

Love is something that we do!

9.16.2010

Thankful Thursday

This week, as usual, there are several things I am thankful for.  Here are three that I think are worth mentioning:

1.  I haven't been sick in a really long time.  I went through a phase for several years where I'd get sick every other month or so, and...knock on wood, I haven't been sick since February (other than food poisoning).  I used to joke with people that if a fly sneezed on me, I'd catch its cold.  But seriously, that's how horrible my immune system was.  This week my sweet hubby has been fighting off a head cold, and guess what!  I didn't get it!  Now, this does mean that I've put a "no cuddling" disclaimer in bed, implemented a "no kissing on lips" rule, and a "take a vitamin C every hour" plan.  While I used to do these things, they never made much of a difference for me.  But, as of right now, I'm still not sick and hubby is on the mend too.  I have to admit though, I do keep apologizing to him for appearing so germaphobic..... and I may or may not be lysoling the bed every time one of us walks by it.

2.  Neighbors that are like family.  From the time I was born till the time I got married, I lived with my parents.  Many times I wanted to move out and start a life of my own, but living under their roof made so much more sense, and since I like to think of myself as a practical person (and financially responsible), it was definitely justifiable.  Plus, I enjoyed their company.  When I was a baby, my dear neighbors who I affectionately refer to as Aunt and Uncle have helped raise me.  Last night when I was visiting my parents, they made a special trip to their house to see me since they saw my car in the driveway.  They truly mean a lot to me, and ever since I moved in with my husband I appreciate them even more.  Why?  Because when I lived at home, if I heard a noise, my uncle was at the front door with his gun making sure I was okay.  If a car was parked in my driveway and he didn't recognize it, he'd trek across the street to check on me.  And I can't forget the time or two when I was locked out of my house and they gave me shelter and cookies!  Now that I live about 15 miles from them, they aren't always just across the street when I need them.  I now have new neighbors whom I have to learn how to make friends with.  It's odd starting out with neighbors because you don't know just how much you can trust them, or just how much they'll look out for you.  It's a slow relationship that takes time to build.  And that is why I am thankful for my neighbors who I was born referring to Aunt and Uncle.

3.  Our small groups started last Sunday.  My dear hubby is the group leader, and with him taking upon that role, I have felt extremely alive.  My obsession with office supplies shined through as I brought a neatly filed notebook to keep track of the group's happenings.  I'm gladly coordinating dinner every week, arranging childcare, and making sure all the necessary supplies are available.  While I don't love the spotlight, I absolutely love being the "Behind the scenes" person, my husband's support role.  And I know that he appreciates me and everything I do to support him, so that makes it 10 times better.  When we were in pre-marital counseling, our counselor taught us to say "I feel loved when _______."  We still use this in our relationship today, and one thing Hubby brings up frequently is, "I feel loved when you support me."  My heart.

So, that's what I'm thankful for today.  What are you thankful for?  I'd love to hear about it!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comments